Why I Want To Visit Iceland

Iceland is tipped by CNN as one of the up and coming travel destinations for 2016.  It’s quickly making it’s mark on the world as a top bucket list destination, and this is why I’d love to visit this increasingly popular Nordic island.

Why I Want To Visit Iceland

The Northern Lights

Everyone travels to Iceland in the hope they will catch a glimpse of the natural phenomenon, the Northern Lights or Aurora borealis.  I have to admit, I am desperate to see this magical display of colour in the night sky after all the stunning pictures I’ve seen of the event.

The Northern Lights are caused by a collision of the gaseous particles found on Earth and charged particles from the sun.  The result is a display of green, yellow, pink, violet and sometimes red flashes in the night sky.  It would be one of those once in a lifetime kind of events.

Northern Lights

The Blue Lagoon

I do enjoy a chance to relax and rejuvenate while I’m on holiday, so I would have to stop by the world famous Blue Lagoon for a dip in it’s warm and revitalising waters.  This sounds like the ultimate spa experience.  The waters of the Blue Lagoon are reported to hit temperatures of 39c and are bursting with minerals such as sulphur and silica.

The Blue Lagoon Iceland

The Golden Circle

I would have to include an Iceland road trip in my holiday itinerary that included the stunning landscape of the Golden Circle.  When I see nature at it’s very best, it gives me a renewed sense of perspective on the world, and I know a visit to Iceland would be a really grounding experience.  It’s a part of the trip I would want to take at my own pace.

The Icelandic tectonic plates of North America and Europe meet at the Thingvellir National Park in The Golden Circle.  Not only do you get to see this natural phenomenon but you are also able to cross from one plate to another, or one continent to another if you will.  That’s one pretty cool life experience to have right there.

Drive further on and you come into contact with the geysers and hot springs that Iceland is also famous for.  I would love to take my time to see one of these erupt, what a beautiful photo that would make.

iceland hot springs The Icelandic People

If you lived in a country that physically moved under your feet every 5 years and surrounded you with both natural beauty and risk all at the same time, it’s going to make for a certain kind of person.

Icelandic people are resilient in nature and have strong family ties.  They have long standing traditions often inspired by their Nordic history.  They mark 12th night on the 6th January  as their Christmas celebration, and culinary excess is a prominent feature in most of their celebrations.  I can see I am going to like it here!

Iceland christmas traditions Iceland Wildlife

Iceland has a unique climate for an artic destination thanks to the presence of the gulf stream.  This lends itself as the perfect landscape for seeing some stunning wildlife during a visit to the country.

I would be delighted to witness puffins nesting on the sea cliffs around the island and the opportunity to see whales, seals or dolphins in it’s vast waters would be absolutely breath taking.  There would be a story there to share with the grandchildren one day I reckon.

puffinsSo what do you think?  Is Iceland somewhere you’d like to visit too one day?  If you’ve been I’d love to know what your thought.

GL-400x150

Zena Goldman

Zena Goldman is a UK based travel, family & lifestyle blogger who left her 9-5 job behind in the not-for-profit sector to follow her creative dreams and enjoy a more flexible family life. She began writing Zena’s Suitcase in 2011 and shares the holidays and adventures she goes on with (and without) her 2 young daughters. She wishes her son would join them more often but he’s carving out his own dreams now and enjoying university life. Since beginning Zena’s Suitcase she has worked with a number of brands and also has a regular monthly feature in the ASDA Good Living Magazine feature, ‘Ask The Expert’ where she shares helpful parenting tips. In 2018 she was also a finalist in the prestigious BIBs Awards for Social Media.

Related Posts

23 Discussion to this post

1. Claire says:

Oh wow, now you’ve made me want to visit Iceland and put it to the top of my list of places to visit 🙂 Fantastic photos x

2. Edward Guerreiro says:

I’m with you on this. I would love to go to Iceland. Especially to see the aurora borealis.

3. Katie skeoch says:

It’s a place I’ve always wanted to go. But holidaying in the cold after living in Scotland all year is a bit miserable. Maybe in a few years, I know I’ll visit someday

4. Tori Gabriel says:

The Aurora Borealis is also on my bucket list and that is why I would like to visit Norway. I waan’t aware of the other stuff on your list and now I want to go even more!

5. Jenni says:

I’ve always wanted to go to Iceland. The aurora borealis looks incredible. I would also like to visit the blue lagoon, there is an ice hotel,as well isn’t there?x
    Jenni recently posted…Cheese Posties Review and GiveawayMy Profile

6. Eve Redmond says:

I’d love to visit Iceland, these pictures look incredible. I’ve heard it’s amazing there.

7. Natalie Ray says:

Oh my goodness just look at it, what an absolutely beautiful place. I would love to go to Iceland. It is top of my husband’s bucket list too and as he was very lucky not to kick the bucket earlier in the year during a traffic accident we are very aware that we need to start getting on with trips like this.xx

8. I’m totally coming with you!!! The Northern Lights is top of my bucket list — I am absolutely desperate to see them one day! Iceland looks like SUCH an amazing place doesn’t it? 🙂
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…146 weeks and 1 day | A mini bathroom makeoverMy Profile

9. I really want to visit Iceland, it’s on my travel wish list for 2016 or 2017 if I can’t make it next year. I read a few posts from fellow bloggers about Iceland and I want to visit the Blue Lagoon. I am moving to Switzerland soon and there are no non-stop flights to Iceland, so flying for just the weekend get’s tricky.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Nadine-Johanna Stewart recently posted…This year’s travelsMy Profile

10. Rebecca Ruff says:

I have always thought of visiting one day, and you have now given me plenty more reasons to plan a trip!

11. Hayley Mulgrove says:

Oh i would love to visit i bet its amazing it would be a dream of mine.

12. karen T says:

Iceland has always been a dream destination for me! I would live there if I could!

13. Wow! Never visited Iceland, but now I so want to! THe Blue Lagoon beckons.
    VaiChin @RamblingThroughParenthood recently posted…I’m an Official Ambassador for Geronimo 2016!My Profile

14. Pam Francis Gregory says:

I’ve wanted to go to Iceland since saw some of scenery in Game of Thrones

15. Amanda noble says:

Beautiful,enchanting place ..my daughter wants to sleigh ride with the huskys in Iceland ,i would love to take her one day

16. Emma Jones says:

My best friend got engaged in Iceland earlier this year and she made it sound amazing. This makes me want to see it for myself even more.

17. Rachel says:

The exact same reasons that I also want to visit Iceland, it just looks stunning and sounds amazing x

18. melanie stirling says:

I too would love to visit Iceland,I really hope I manage to this year!

19. I so want to go to Iceland. It looks such a beautiful place!
    Mellissa Williams recently posted…New Florida Theme Park Attractions 2016My Profile

20. […] Get your wanderlust going with this dreamy post about Iceland. […]

21. I visited Iceland when I worked on the ships Zena, it is an incredible destination. I was very fortunate to experience the Northern Lights and enjoy an afternoon at the Blue Lagoon which I can highly recommend:) I hope you get there one day!
    Lisa (Travel Loving Family) recently posted…Travel Loving Family’s guide to St LuciaMy Profile

22. […] and unspoilt destinations are becoming increasingly popular, and one place I would love to visit is Iceland.  It looks breathtakingly beautiful and has so much to offer despite being a relatively small […]