Help TKMaxx Give Up Clothes For Good

When my teen went back to school a few weeks ago, we received the usual letters home asking for us to provide emergency contacts and details of information evenings that were planned.  The usual stuff that kids and parents have to sort at the beginning of school.  There was another letter though, that wasn’t the usual kind of letter the school send out.  It was something we hadn’t had to think about before.

#giveupclothesforgood

Parents were being asked to get in touch with the school if their child became poorly with certain illnesses, like chicken pox and shingles.  This year they had a pupil at the school who was receiving treatment for cancer and if they caught these illnesses they could become very unwell while they were undergoing their treatment.  This wasn’t the usual stuff parents think about when going back to school.

This is the closest I’ve ever come to kids’ cancer, and it really bought it home to me that this is something that happens to many families across the UK.  Treatment has come a long way to allow children to carry on as normal a life as possible while they are receiving care for cancer, all thanks to the research carried out by charities like Cancer Research UK Kids and Teens.  When something like this touches your life, if only on the periphery, the urge to help and do something practical is overwhelming.

We are always bagging up clothes for charity, and we will be taking our latest sacks into our local TK MAXX store to support it’s GiveUpClothesForGood campaign.  I think every family in the UK has a good clear out a good few times a year, if we all sent a bag of clothes to TK MAXX to help fight children’s cancer we would raise around £740 million to help these brave children battle this awful illness. That’s a win all around isn’t it?

We are winning the battle against children’s cancer everyday, 8 out of 10 children survive, compared to 2 out of 10 children in the 1970s.  It would be amazing to see all children survive cancer wouldn’t it?  Donating a bag of clothes is a really easy thing you can do to support the Give Up Clothes For Good campaign and help even more kids, like the one at our school, fight cancer.

[bctt tweet=”Help TKMaxx #giveupclothesforgood all year round to support Cancer Research UK Kids & Teens #charity”]

You can find out more about the Give Up Clothes for Good campaign which is running all year long and where you can find your local TKMAXX store here:  http://www.tkmaxx.com/page/storelocator

This is a sponsored post

Zena Goldman

Zena Goldman is a UK based travel, family & lifestyle blogger who left her 9-5 job behind in the not-for-profit sector to follow her creative dreams and enjoy a more flexible family life. She began writing Zena’s Suitcase in 2011 and shares the holidays and adventures she goes on with (and without) her 2 young daughters. She wishes her son would join them more often but he’s carving out his own dreams now and enjoying university life. Since beginning Zena’s Suitcase she has worked with a number of brands and also has a regular monthly feature in the ASDA Good Living Magazine feature, ‘Ask The Expert’ where she shares helpful parenting tips. In 2018 she was also a finalist in the prestigious BIBs Awards for Social Media.

Related Posts

19 Discussion to this post

1. Claire says:

I will be sending this link to all my friends, thanks for informing us about this cause. We can all at least find 1 bag! x

2. Lorraine says:

I had to skim through this, sorry…the word alone brings me to tears as lost a family member recently to it. It does sound like a good cause though! Would hand all my unwanted items to the charity.

3. What a great cause! It’s so sad to hear about children with cancer – you’re right, it’s not something talked about often. I hope the little boy at school manages to fight the cancer and gets well again!
    Laura Hartley recently posted…IMPORTANT REASONS WHY I FEEL TRAVEL MATTERSMy Profile

4. The London Mum says:

What a brilliant campaign- and so easy to do because as we all know every year or every few months clothes get relegated for being too small.

5. Tori Gabriel says:

What a great campaign! I will be sharing the link far and wide.

6. Victoria says:

Well I know where my next bag full is going! Cancer is a horrible illness, the thought of a child suffering with it doesn’t bare thinking about x

7. Ickle Pickle says:

Great campaign – my eldest daughter had a friend with cancer when she was 16 – it was a massive shock to everyone. Their school did the same regarding informing all parents. The girl is doing well, thank goodness. Kaz x
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…Fab Five for Friday 3rd Birthday WishlistMy Profile

8. Sarah Bailey says:

What a fantastic campaign, I need to have a clear out of my clothes but never got around to it as didn’t know what to do with them. Now I do! x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Losing a tooth – then vs nowMy Profile

9. Rachel says:

Such a good campaign and just last weekend I dropped off 3 bags of clothes to a local charity x
    Rachel recently posted…Stay well, warm and in control this winter with smart metersMy Profile

10. sabina sher says:

What a lovely cause – so so nice! I’ve just favourited this post x

11. Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops says:

What a wonderful campaign, we usually take our old clothes to the charity shop, but I am off to have a read now.

12. Kirsty says:

I’ve seen this campaign as we have several TK maxx’s nearby, It’s a great incentive and for a fantastic cause. Great write up x

13. Rachel @ Parenthood Highs and Lows says:

What a fantastic idea. We give some of the kids old stuff to charity so will definitely look into doing this next time we have a bag full.

14. catstello says:

My love for TKMaxx just got bigger 🙂
    catstello recently posted…Stylish Self-Service and Cruelty-Free Food at TibitsMy Profile

15. A says:

That’s the type of information you get and it really makes you realise what some people have to go through, and all of a sudden your lifes little concerns seem like nothing!

I hope this raises lots and lots of money to continue to help families like these!

– A

16. Ali says:

What a great cause – we are always getting rid of clothes I’ll have to send some there.

17. A fantastic cause that I would be proud to represent, it is wonderful to do something good for those who are suffering.

18. Such a worthwhile cause – thanks for bringing it to my attention – I will definitely look into this further now x
    North East Family Fun recently posted…Hostel Suites by Eurohostel Glasgow – A reviewMy Profile

19. What a great campaign. I take all my old clothes to Tenovus which is a local Welsh cancer charity. They tell you how much you have donated by way of selling the clothes, at the end of the year. It was nearly £150 last time I had a letter.
    mellissa williams recently posted…Beautiful Feet In Seconds? Does the Micro-Pedi Live Up To The Hype?My Profile