Thinking Thin #4: 4 Tips To Keep You On Track With Weightloss

Welcome to my latest Thinking Thin post.  I have some excellent progress to report and I’ve decided it’s only fair to let you all know where I started out at.  When I started making healthy changes to my diet 4 weeks ago I weighed in at 17st 4lbs.  That was the figure that shocked me into action due to the physical toll carrying that amount of weight was having on my body.

At weigh in this week I was down to 16st 2lbs!  A huge loss of 16lbs!  It just goes to show it can be done with a bit of concerted effort.  I have fallen off the wagon a few times, but I’ve managed to get back on it again without to much difficulty.  Through the years of battling with my weight I’ve picked up a few strategies that help either stop you indulging too much or get you back on track if you’ve had a little blip.

I am convinced it all starts with how you think and feel about yourself and food, and if you practise these few simple tips you can honestly start to change your eating habits without the need for faddy or extreme diets.

Thinking Thin

1. Be Kind To Yourself:  Love yourself for who you are now, and accept your body as it is.  There is nothing to be gained by beating yourself up about being overweight, especially if your a comfort eater!  You feel bad about your weight, you reach for food for comfort, you gain more weight and so the cycle continues.  Give yourself a break and as soon as you hear those negative thoughts in your head like ‘I hate myself for being so fat’, start adding some new thoughts in there like ‘I love and accept myself for who I am now’.  With a bit of practise you’ll soon start to change how you think about yourself.  If you start to ‘like’ yourself you will be more inclined to look after your body, after all you need it, right?

2. Think Ahead:  One of my biggest downfalls is going out for food or social occasions.  All of us at sometime or another have over indulged at the buffet or squeezed that dessert in when we really didn’t have any room left at all.  A trick you can practise to overcome this is rehearse the food choices you are going to make before you go out.  Start thinking about the healthy options you are going to pick or the amount of food you are going to eat.  Preparing your thinking before hand will help you make healthier choices, I promise.

3. How Will I Feel:  This is such a simple and effective trick and worked wonders with me, especially when it came to those greasy fry-ups.  Have you ever really craved something like Fish and Chips, but then felt totally disgusting afterwards for being such a pig?  This feeling can really help you make better food choices.  If you get one of those cravings, before you give into it give yourself a minute to project yourself to how you are going to think and feel after you’ve eaten it.  When it hits you that you are going to feel totally gross, sit with that feeling for a few minutes and trust me, you’ll start to make healthier choices with a bit of practise.

4. The Memory Cheat:  You may still fall off the wagon every now and again as the reasons for over eating are often complex and over whelming.  Old habits are not broken overnight, and do take some practise.  If you did have too many sausage rolls at the buffet, there are still things you can do.  Previous behaviour informs our current actions through memory.  Your brain doesn’t really know the difference between a real memory and a false one so you can use this to your advantage.  Go back to the buffet in your mind and replay the event with you picking the healthy choices or saying no to the cakes.  This will help your brain to think about  making better choices in the future.

I’ve heard it said so many times that you just have to say ‘No’ to certain foods.  If only it were that simple, we’d all be thin wouldn’t we!  It is about getting to the point that you can say ‘No’ to that greasy fry up, but to get there you really need to work on how you think and feel about food.  Give these ‘tips’ a try for a month, and by the end of it you will start to have more control of what you eat.  It would be great to hear how you get on, so please do leave me your comments and updates.

Zena Goldman

Zena Goldman is a UK based travel, family & lifestyle blogger who left her 9-5 job behind in the not-for-profit sector to follow her creative dreams and enjoy a more flexible family life. She began writing Zena’s Suitcase in 2011 and shares the holidays and adventures she goes on with (and without) her 2 young daughters. She wishes her son would join them more often but he’s carving out his own dreams now and enjoying university life. Since beginning Zena’s Suitcase she has worked with a number of brands and also has a regular monthly feature in the ASDA Good Living Magazine feature, ‘Ask The Expert’ where she shares helpful parenting tips. In 2018 she was also a finalist in the prestigious BIBs Awards for Social Media.

Related Posts

23 Discussion to this post

1. Polly says:

great tips… I’d think that making long term changes rather than a crash diet is the best way x
    Polly recently posted…Summer SmoothieMy Profile

2. Nettie says:

Wow congratulations on dropping 16lbs in 4 weeks!! Incredible. I am going to adopt your tips and see how I get on. Thank you!
    Nettie recently posted…Weight Loss Mission – The Seven Pound ItchMy Profile

3. I really need something like this, great tips and well done x
    you baby me mummy recently posted…Gratitude List #7My Profile

4. Bek says:

Fantastic tips! My partner is currently trying to lose weight so these will help, thank you. Congratulations on losing that much in just four weeks! Well done you 🙂
    Bek recently posted…Face PaintingMy Profile

5. Em @ snowingindoors says:

These are some great tips, especially number 2, it’s far too easy to say, ‘oh dear, I forgot to take a healthy lunch, I’d better buy dirty burger from McDonalds’ (for me at least!) so planning ahead would really help me lose some weight.

6. Congratulations on your weight loss. Great tips. I think planning ahead is key – I’ve always got emergency snacks/ packed lunch stashed in my bag.
    Healthier Mummy recently posted…How to cook steak for a special treatMy Profile

7. Congrats and big well done .x
    Hannah Staveley recently posted…Music FestivalsMy Profile

8. Wow, what a loss. You might just have spurred me on to do something about my weight
    Jen aka The Mad House recently posted…What They Don’t Tell You About Being A Working ParentMy Profile

9. These are really great tips! I love the one about the memory cheat! I really have to try that! And I need to start thinking ahead!
    Joanna Sormunen recently posted…The Queen With The Frozen Heart 15My Profile

10. Amy Squires says:

Well done! Thats amazing! I started my weight loss journey a couple of weeks ago and it is hard to keep on track! Thanks for sharing some tips!

11. OOh I’ve never heard number 4 before, I’ll definitely have to give that a go. I totally agree that cutting out specific foods is just not sustainable for the long-term, and that just taking smaller portions and making small changes for life is what will make the most difference. Well done with your achievements!
    Actually Mummy… recently posted…The practicalities of driving an electric carMy Profile

12. Sarah Bailey says:

Congratulations on your loss and thank you for the great tips I need a kick with my personal weightloss.x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Explore the New Forest in Peace.My Profile

13. What fabulous weight loss. Well done. Great post x
    Liska @NewMumOnline recently posted…My Pamper Afternoon with WilkoMy Profile

14. Well done! And yes, the changes you make to effect weight loss must be sustainable over time. So called ‘yo-yo dieting’ puts huge strain on the body. Keep it up and stay resolute 🙂
    Aisha from expatlog recently posted…Adult diagnosis – how does it help?My Profile

15. Great tips. Another one I use is visualising what the food will do when it goes into my body. Will the sugar feed the harmful bacteria in my gut? Will this food spend a long time sitting in my body because it is difficult to digest? Often actually picturing it will put me off whatever it is but I do have to take the time to do this!
    Adele @ Circus Queen recently posted…Win a copy of Shaun the Sheep™ Shear Heat on DVDMy Profile

16. Shell Louise says:

Planning ahead is one of the main things that’s helped me lose 8 and a half stone 🙂 Still a long way to go and not been as easy this second year as my first year was but still plugging away and not putting it back on, which is the main thing for me right now. I’ve tried so many times and always given up after a few months, This is the longest I’ve stuck at it and I’m never going to let myself put that weight back on.
    Well done on your excellent loss 🙂 xx

17. Congrats on the weight loss, great work 🙂

Great tips 🙂

Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop
    Clairejustine oxox (Clairejustineoxox) recently posted…Welcome To The Weekend Blog Hop : Link Up Your Favourite Posts…My Profile

18. Globalmouse says:

This is great – I keep starting and stopping and need to make a plan and stick to it!
    Globalmouse recently posted…Globalmouse meets….Michaela StrachanMy Profile

19. Jenny says:

Fantastic weight loss. I’m following Slimming World and beginning to enjoy eating a healthier diet.
    Jenny recently posted…Summer sewingMy Profile

20. ninjacat says:

well done on your weigh loss

21. Laura says:

Well done on the weight loss. Glad to hear that your approach is working for you.
    Laura recently posted…Homemade strawberry and chocolate jamMy Profile

22. […] loss so that we then change our behaviours around food, for good.  I left you with some helpful cheats last time for when you have slipped off the old diet wagon.  It would be great to hear how your […]

23. […] talked about how powerful memories can be before in helping how we behave in the present, and you can pretty much apply this tactic to […]