Grass At Nottingham Lakeside Theatre

I took my 3 year old to see Grass at Lakeside Theatre this weekend.  She was very excited as she enjoy’s the theatre a lot and Nottingham Lakeside is one of our very favourite places.

We left Daddy and Little Pudding at home as I don’t think the 1 year old would have sat still like she used to now that she has found her feet.  It was nice for just the two of us to go along though, and we were both excited about seeing the performance together.

Grass

We were greeted at Nottingham Lakeside by a fantastic exhibition called Swarm.  The wall was literally covered in beasties which really set the scene for what we were about to enjoy.  Princess was keen to take her place in the queue and get into the performance, but it gave us chance to look at all the insects in the creative display.

We took our seats around the set, and all the children were really up close to the action.  The two performers began by rolling out turf, or more accurately, grass, to complete the scene and we were all intrigued by what was going to come next.

Swarm

Grass Is A Sensory Performance

Grass was not only a delightful performance of imaginative dance but also a truly sensory experience.  The theatre was filled with the smell of the great outdoors, and twinned with great music, lights and well placed animations they created an experience that really captured the young audiences imagination.  It opened up a whole new world to them, right underneath their feet.

It filled my daughter with lots of questions about what insects and beasties the dancers were portraying and who else lived in the grass.  The performance was filled with lots of interesting educational facts about how many hearts a worm has, how many flowers a bee visits in a day and how ants let each other know they are friends.  You want to know the answers now don’t you?  Well, you’ll have to pop along and see Grass for yourself!

Grass Uses Audience Engagement

Second Hand Dance invited the interested audience to guess the different insects and beasties they were, in amongst the Grass.  All the children were really keen to join in and even guessed the most obscure of creatures.

child excited about going to the theatre

It was a funny, inspiring and thought provoking performance introducing us to the world that lays just beneath out feet.  Second Hand Dance used a well crafted contrast between gentle performance and upbeat rhythms to keep the performance interesting and engaging for the entire audience.

Grass Was A Hit With Us

Nottingham Lakeside Arts were successful in bringing another fantastic children and families performance to a young audience and Second Hand Dance delivered an engaging and interesting performance to it’s keen audience.  We would absolutely recommend a visit to Grass if this is passing through a theatre near you.

You can check out their calendar here.

We were provided with complimentary tickets to see Grass at Nottingham’s Lakeside Arts Theatre, but all thoughts and opinions are our own.

Zena Goldman

Zena Goldman is a UK based travel, family & lifestyle blogger who left her 9-5 job behind in the not-for-profit sector to follow her creative dreams and enjoy a more flexible family life. She began writing Zena’s Suitcase in 2011 and shares the holidays and adventures she goes on with (and without) her 2 young daughters. She wishes her son would join them more often but he’s carving out his own dreams now and enjoying university life. Since beginning Zena’s Suitcase she has worked with a number of brands and also has a regular monthly feature in the ASDA Good Living Magazine feature, ‘Ask The Expert’ where she shares helpful parenting tips. In 2018 she was also a finalist in the prestigious BIBs Awards for Social Media.

Related Posts

25 Discussion to this post

1. Tori Gabriel says:

I’m so stupid! When I started reading you had taken your daughter to see Grass, I thought “what’s wrong with the park?” Lol.

Anyway, once I read the post properly it sounds like a great show. I love shows that encourage audience engagement.

2. Sarah Bailey says:

What an interesting sounding show, I am so pleased it went down well with you 🙂 x
    Sarah Bailey recently posted…Are you ready to save with a Smart Meter?My Profile

3. Stephanie says:

Looks like she really did enjoy it. Love that picture of her getting a good look at the main ingredient too 🙂
    Stephanie recently posted…Blackberry & Lime jam with Ball PreservingMy Profile

4. Cathy Glynn says:

This show sounds really interesting and something my daughter would like, she loves dance x
    Cathy Glynn recently posted…Easy Cream Horn Trifles #GBBOBloggers2015My Profile

5. Kacie says:

I always loved going to the theatre as a child. Much more fun than the cinema x

6. Serena says:

Sounds like an interesting show. I love going to the theatre!

7. Rachel says:

Admittedly I did think ‘grass’ really… but having read your post, it sounds fantastic x

8. Claire says:

A really interesting show, I bet she really enjoyed it too. Thanks for sharing x

9. The London Mum says:

Wow sounds amazing, I love theatre productions that encourage children to get involved. x

10. Katie says:

This sounds like a really interesting show! It is lovely to get some one on one time with each child too 🙂
    Katie recently posted…Going Gluten Free, Without a DiagnosisMy Profile

11. Renna says:

That’s interesting……I’ll have to look into that, as I’m sure the kids would love it. Thanks for sharing.

12. Grass sounds like such a fun show although for a moment I mistakenly thought that you were taking her to see literal ‘grass’ lol!

13. Codie says:

This sounds like my kinda thing! I studied Drama at uni and love the idea of immersive theatre – especially for children! It’s great that you take her to things like this too, it was one of my favourite things to do as a child! 🙂
    Codie recently posted…Disneyland Ride ReviewMy Profile

14. Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops says:

Such gorgeous photos. What a great way to spend some mummy daughter time! this sounds really interesting

15. Rachael says:

this sounds right up my street, what a fun and unique thing to do!
    Rachael recently posted…5 Things to do in Wales this Autumn that are good for the planetMy Profile

16. Lorraine says:

Sounds like my sort of show! Interactive and fun, I would have attended it myself.

17. leeshastarr says:

This sounds pretty amazing, I’d love to visit.
    leeshastarr recently posted…Guest Post: Top Tips For Natural Looking MakeupMy Profile

18. Lydia says:

This sounds really interesting, I’m sure my little ones would love this. It’s such a great concept too Xx

19. Sounds wonderful and I loved that the theatre even smelled of the great outdoors. Grass isn’t something I would immediately think would make a great play but this experience sounds wonderful x
    North East Family Fun recently posted…A luxury overnight stay at Jesmond Dene House Hotel, NewcastleMy Profile

20. This actually sounds really interesting, if we had this nearby I would definitely take Jack
    Rebecca Smith recently posted…How To Spice Up Your Kitchen For AutumnMy Profile

21. I do love theatre. This sounds like a beautiful performance. Glad you both had such a lovely time x
    VaiChin @RamblingThroughParenthood recently posted…Reception Year : Settling InMy Profile

22. Ickle Pickle says:

How lovely for you to have some time with Princess. This looks fascinating – Pickle would love it, he loves things like this. Kaz xx
    Ickle Pickle recently posted…The Royal Princess Cruise ShipMy Profile

23. Kerry says:

This sounds like such an interesting show and definitely worth while for kids. I’d love to take Amelia to something like this x

24. Ah, what a lovely day out for the two of you, and a learning experience too! x
    Jacqui @ Mummy’s Little Monkey recently posted…GOING DOTTY (base fashion)My Profile

25. Anna says:

Thats sound like an amazing show! I need to get out and see shows like that more often, thanks for the review!
    Anna recently posted…Beauty Personal Shopping at Selfridges, Manchester Exchange SquareMy Profile